After Contagious, New York Times best seller author Jonah Berger comes back with another fascinating book that we can all benefit from as Social Media Managers: Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior.
The premise: our choices are not (only) driven by our personal tastes and opinion, but are (also) largely guided by other people’s behaviors.
Whether it leads us to imitate or contradict others, social influence is a phenomenon we need to cope with — as well as a mecanism we take advantage of when building an online brand or community.
Some amazing things you will learn in Invisible Influence and can leverage as a Social Media Manager include:
- Why we trust other people — even when they are wrong.
- Why companies send celebrities free gifts — from their competitors.
- Why Sports Illustrated sells similarity while Vogue deals in difference.
- Why Louis Vuitton should encourage counterfeiting.
- Why familiarity leads to liking.
As a bonus, here are cool questions you will find answered in Invisible Influence, which can give you an edge in your personal life:
- How to be a better negotiator.
- What Chinese characters teach us about what will be popular next.
- How ordering with others can ruin your meal.
- What cockroaches can teach us about motivation.
Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior is available on Amazon in hardcover, paperback, ebook and audio book.