According to Verto Analytics‘s October 2017 social media usage index, Facebook is still very clearly dominating the industry, with three of its platforms — namely Facebook, Instagram & Facebook Messenger — in the the Top 4 of the most used social networks:
In particular, it’s interesting to note that:
- Facebook is not only killing the game when it comes to monthly active users (almost 200 millions), monthly reach (93%), stickiness (70%) and sessions per month per user (173)…
- … social network users also spend more time on Facebook (18:24!) every month than on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat & Tumblr all together!
- Instagram is a very strong second player on most metrics, including monthly active users (144 millions), monthly reach (67%) and smartphone users (more than 96 millions).
- Twitter is still a very large player on the field, most definitely when it comes to monthly active users (110 millions) and reach (52%), the platform underperforms in terms of stickiness (34%) and time spent per month per user (2:00).
- While Snapchat remains five times smaller than Facebook in terms of monthly unique users (more than 43 millions), the Venice-based app ranks second for stickiness (47%), time spent per month per user (4:00) and sessions per month per user (144), which emphasizes the addictive aspect of the service.
What’s in it for Social Media Managers: a clear signal that investing time, energy and money on Facebook as an ecosystem (including Facebook, Instagram & Messenger) is a safe bet given how neatly the blue giant dominates the market.